Twitter Posts not showing

• Creator
    Topic
    karen.garrattley
    Participant

I’ve copied and pasted the widget from Twitter, however, my website only shows “Tweets by @unitedrefchurch” and no actual tweets. I haven’t typed “Tweets by @unitedrefchurch” – this has been brought across from Twitter automatically – but no tweets!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    ichurch
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

To use the Twitter embed feature, you need to go to twitter.com, and from the settings drop-down, select ‘Edit Profile’, and on that page, from the menu on the left hand side, select ‘Widgets’. There you can choose ‘Create New’ to create a unique embed code to add your Twitter feed to a widget on your site. Configure the feed as you’d like (make sure you have your domain name entered correctly – with http:// at the beginning and NO www.), then click ‘Create Widget’. Harvest the code that is generated for you, by copying it to your clipboard, then head over to your site and post it into a ‘Text’ widget – whichever widget you want it to appear in! Hope that helps 🙂

ichurch
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,
    Here’s a link to the documentation for Twitter’s embedded timeline feature – it tells you how to change dimensions: https://dev.twitter.com/docs/embedded-timelines. Hope that helps!

karen.garrattley
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,
    Still having trouble with the Twitter widget. I’ve followed the instructions and added the width and height manually but it ignores it completely. Accordingly to the instructions it should automatically adjust the width as it needs but this doesn’t happen either. “by default the widget will shrink to the width of its parent element in the page.”

“Embedded timelines are flexible and adaptive, functioning at a variety of dimensions ranging from wide to narrow, and short to tall. The default dimensions for a timeline are 520×600px, which can be overridden to fit the dimension requirements of your page. Setting a width is not required, and by default the widget will shrink to the width of its parent element in the page. For example, if you paste your embed code in a div that is 300px wide, the timeline itself will be 300px wide. You can set the dimensions explicitly by using the width and height HTML attributes:

<a class=”twitter-timeline” width=”300″ height=”500″ href=”https://twitter.com/twitterapi&#8221; data-widget-id=”YOUR-WIDGET-ID-HERE”>Tweets by @twitterapi</a>

The minimum width of a timeline is 220px and the maximum is 520px. The minimum height is 350px.”

ichurch
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,
    I suspect that the sidebar you’re trying to get the feed into is narrower than 220px, the stated minimum width for the timeline. You might be able to overwrite the CSS by using Firebug to find out what you need to change. Alternatively, search the plugin directory – there may well be something that does exactly what you’re wanting! The other option would be to change your sidebar configuration, if you particularly wanted this specific timeline feed. You could have a single sidebar on some specific pages, allowing you to embed the feed as it stands, without reducing the effect you were trying to create with the double sidebars on the homepage, perhaps….

Derek the Rev
    Participant

Hi folks – I found the above way of making a widget on twitter produced a more reliable widget than using the Jetpack Twitter Widget. The Jetpack widget worked fine up to a point but often did not pick up a new Tweet for several hours. The Twitter sources widget works very quickly every time. Also like being able to change the colours round a bit. BUT still cannot decide between Light or Dark versions.

ichurch
    Keymaster

Karen: I notice that Derek currently has the Twitter feed widget in his footer – would that work for your site…? Perhaps not – just a thought 🙂

Carolej
    Participant

Derek, Rebecca: I have created a Twitter feed widget which was painless and it works except for the interactive functions. I have scoured the documentation but can’t nail the error. Help please!

Derek the Rev
    Participant

I just set the widget up in Twitter and pasted it over. But have noticed today that the box to the right of ‘Twitter’ on the Website is now greyed out. Cannot remember what it was like originally – I think it allowed someone to click and pair up with me on Twitter. For some reason it is greyed out on both my sites. just now.
    Sorry Carole cannot make other suggestions.

Carolej
    Participant

Thanks Derek. The interactive function doesn’t work on the jetpack widget either.

Derek the Rev
    Participant

Whoppee – the ‘Follow’ box to the right of the header has mysteriously appeared. Maybe justifies the quote I heard yesterday “God does not move in mysterious ways; God moves in mischievous ways!” quoted by Dr. Michael N. Jagessar as being a Jamaican saying.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.