The events calendar plugin

• Creator
    Topic
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Is anyone using ‘The events calendar’ plugin? I am trying to set it up but failing on the settings page. The events url slug that it generates returns the error ‘this link appears to be broken’ when I try to activate it. I have scoured all the documentation for help with no success. Have any other users had the same problem or am I being dozy (probably!)?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi Carole. Yes, we use and recommend this plugin as a calendar solution – I think it’s great. Once you get the hang of it, I’m sure you’ll be fine!

The ‘events URL slug’ isn’t what you need to display the calendar. You’ll see at the very top of the settings page, it says ‘Where’s my calendar? Right here’ and if you click on the ‘right here’, you will find it’s linked to the calendar display page (which has automatically been published).

You decide where to display your calendar through Appearance – Menus – you will see you now have the option to include ‘event categories’ and ‘events’ on your menu – the simplest way is just to set it up so that all the posts you want to appear on the calendar your visitors see are categorised in the same event category, then you add that category to your menu, and hey presto, the calendar, displaying all events in that category, will appear.

You can see it in action at: http://standrewsmonkseaton.urc.org.uk/events/category/church-events/

I hope that helps. If the pesky thing gives you any more trouble, please let us know and we’ll try to help 🙂

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Thanks Rebecca. I forgot to say that I had actually clicked on ‘right here’ and got ‘Oops! This link appears to be broken. Do you mean urc.org.uk’

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi Carole,

It seems to be working for me – here: http://geddesplace.urc.org.uk/events/ – though the calendar is empty because you don’t have any events listed yet.

Does that help, or is it still misbehaving?

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi Rebecca
    The broken link message disappeared but still displayed some gobbledegook. However once I listed an event all was well.

I’m now going to look at St Andrews website.Thanks once again, as ever your help is much appreciated.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

No problem at all, Carole – I’m pleased if it’s helped 🙂

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Just in case anyone is deterred by my difficulties installing this plugin I have discovered that all my problems were caused by the other user on my site adding stuff at the same time as I was trying to install the Events Calendar. The maintenance screen hadn’t been activated. This plugin is excellent and not difficult to use (believe it or not!).

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Glad to hear you’ve got it all sorted, Carole 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.