Keeping your site fresh with new content

• Creator
    Topic
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

So, this forum has been going for a few months now and there have been quite a few problems, queries and stumbling blocks overcome and solved. There seem to be fewer posts now than there were and I was intrigued as to why that might be. Personally, I think (and hope) that it’s because people have now got their sites set up more or less the way they want them and that they’re running smoothly and as expected – more or less guaranteed with the sturdy iChurch package of course! 😉

So how is your site? Is it running smoothly or have you got fed up with a niggle that you just can’t fathom? Are you getting lots of interest in and traffic to your site? If your website is stunningly successful perhaps you’ve got some secrets you could share with the rest of us.

I’d also be interested in hearing about any frustrations you’ve had and how you might have overcome them. For example, getting other people to contribute to the sites I manage is a constant frustration. Most of our content is created by me mining the noticesheet and magazine for information, even though I’ve asked I just cannot get people to send things to me in the way that they send them to the noticesheet and magazine teams. Anyone else suffered this way?

Looking forward to your responses,

Andy

Viewing 7 replies - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Re Icons – set a competition for your artists in residence!
    AndyG

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Interesting to hear that you are having trouble getting people to contribute. When I generally invited people they were all told “hands off – leave it to the webmaster!” so now I’m lumbered. Sense of power and control doesn’t thrill me much; can be lonely.
    My main problem is the heading on the homepage which should be coloured but isn’t. Would be delighted / relieved if somebody could find out how to make it coloured again – any colour will do except white. Used to be blue, when I left the training session, and then I decided to experiment . . . . we weren’t warned about that!
    My second problem is how to make the pages look interesting with colour and shapes instead of plain rectangles. Any suggestions, please?

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum, minshman! Great to have you here.
    There is one thing we could do: upgrade you to the latest version of the iChurch template. I’d be happy to do that, and there’s a good chance it might solve the problem. However, it would mean you’d have a little bit of new learning to do, as there are a few tweaks as to how the theme operates. You can always put it back to the other theme (Alyeska, iChurch 3.0 which you have now), though, if you get fed up!

As far as I can remember re your site skin, we tried changing the colour in theme options and that made no difference. I also tried uploading a background image and that didn’t display either. I have to say, I quite like the white, but I’m sure it must be possible to fix it…somehow! Does anyone else have any idea?

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Can you just clarify exactly which bit you are struggling to change the colour of? Is it the page background or the site title text?

Andy

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Thanks for asking, Andy. The site title is white with a white background. The page background is blue / grey I think, with white behind it. Yes Rebecca, the white can look good if I had it by choice.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Sorry for being dense, just trying to clarify which bit exactly it is that you want to have colour again? If you can tell me I’ll go in and have a look and see if I can see anything if I may.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Andy, it’s the ‘background’, in WordPress terms – you know, the bit where you could, in theory, have put an image fill or a colour fill? The iChurch theme that Minshull is using terms it ‘skin’, I think…

It just doesn’t seem to respond to whatever changes we make; it’s a bit of an odd one. Perhaps there’s something that you can see that we’ve missed – or else I think I’ll try uploading the new theme to see if that makes a difference!

Thanks for having a look 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.