Downloading files

• Creator
    Topic
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

I am trying to give visitors to my website access to the latest church magazine. I have uploaded a copy of our magazine, in PDF format, to my media library and inserted this into my “Church Magazine” post. Unfortunately when I click on this link the file displayed has lost some of its formatting making a nonsense of some of the pages because the page headers are missing.. However if I then hit the download button in the top r/h corner of the displayed document and ask for the file to be opened in Adobe Reader i get the full file displayed including page headers.. So the ideal solution would be to bypass the display and go straight to giving users the opportunity to download the file to either open with Adobe Reader or save a copy of the file. Is it possible to do this?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi, what is your site and I’ll see if I have the same problem?
    Andy

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi Sandgroaner,

As a quick answer, I’d suggest using a button to add a downloadable to a page – there’s a ‘how to’ section on this on the ‘How To’ page of this site, here: http://forumurc.org.uk/faqs/ (third item down).

Let me know if this solves things – if not I will have a look at your site specifically to work out what’s going on.

Hope it’s all going well – happy WordPressing!

Rebecca.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Thanks Rebecca

I’ve tried your suggestion. I’ve just discovered that this may be a Firefox problem. When I use the Chrome browser or Internet Explorer to access my site the pdf file is displayed correctly with all page headers shown. So a bit of a mystery!

The prefered option would be for Firefox to give users the option to either download the file or open it with Adobe Reader rather than open it as a web page as this would probably get over the formatting problems. It does mean that in other browsers the file would be downloaded automatically (I think).

Sorry Andy my site is still in maintenance mode as I still need to get permissions to use some of the pictures on the site.

Otherwise things are going well.

Neil

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi Neil,

Please let me know where in your site you’re wanting to do this and I’ll go in and have a look – see what’s going on.

Thanks!

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Thanks Rebecca,

Its in the post “October Church Magazine” which is displayed on the “About Bispham” page.

Neil

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi Rebecca

Just been looking at this post again only to find that the file is now displaying correctly and I’ve done nothing to change the post. Whereas Firefox was displaying the file in the browser I now find it is downloading the file and opening it in Adobe Reader. Which is OK by me! Problem solved.

Neil

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hmm, how very strange! Glad it’s all sorted 🙂

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

I subsequently found that I had the same problem displaying the church magazine when I used my laptop to access my website. The problem, I found, is caused by Firefox settings. If you go to Options on the Tool menu in Firefox and then to the Application tab when the Options menu is displayed you will find a list of “Content Types” together with the default action Firefox will take when it meets that content type. If you go down this list you will find the entry “Portable document type (PDF)”. On my laptop the default action for this was set to “Preview in Firefox”. Changing this default to “Use Adobe Reader” or “Always Ask” solved the problem.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Ah, thanks Neil – very useful to have that info posted here. I’ll close this thread now. Glad it’s all solved 🙂

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.