Calendars

• Creator
    Topic
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Maybe ‘The Awkward Squad’ has the answer. Andy you have a section of ‘upcoming events’ displayed in a sidebar. Is this an integral part of your Calendar plugin, or is it done by an additional widget?
    I notice that Alan on Annan URC website has something similar.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

It’s part of the calendar plugin that I use and only works with that plugin. Most calendar plugins do provide a widget that displays something similar though.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

thanks – will try in a couple of weeks when I have the time.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

I have found the widget for my Calendar Plug-in. Thanks. And it works OK.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote from Derek the Rev on March 12, 2013, 15:11
    I have found the widget for my Calendar Plug-in. Thanks. And it works OK.

Marvellous! Off to have a look… 😉

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Thought I had lost my calendar – but it has come back with a ‘refresh’

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Andy – I have a Calpress query! I have installed this and find it really good. Just one thing – do you find that you can use custom fields to restrict the categories you want displayed in the calendar? And can you do the selection of categories option in the widget? – all the categories are there for me, but no checkboxes to select which ones I want to appear. Other than that, fine!

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Ann, I haven’t personally used custom fields I’m afraid so I can’t comment on that.
    You can select categories in the widget, you simply click on the category you want to select. If you want multiple categories then you need to hold control whilst clicking on the categories you want, selected categories should be highlighted once you have clicked on them.

I hope that helps!

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Hi Andy – I seem to be doing what’s needed ie highlighting the categories to include using CTRL (there are no chekboxes to select, should there be?) but the widget is not responding to my selection either in the widget or in the full calendar where I use custom fields. Are you on the standard Calpress version or the Pro?

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Ann, I’ve had a look, and I’m afraid I’m so far behind you on custom fields, that I don’t think I can help much. Lawrence may be able to, as he’s better on that stuff than I am. I’m struggling to get my head around your set-up….sorry! (but bonus points for flummoxing me!!).

And no, no checkboxes on the widget selector. And I agree it doesn’t seem to make the slightest bit of difference whether you specify categories or not. Hmm…

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Rebecca – you taught me all I know on custom fields! And it’s finally sinking in – even the Calpress categories! I looked at 4 other calendars before Calpress and found this ot be the most straightforward, and did everything apart from this setback – but that’s only because I’m struggling with the logic of shortcodes, and definitely with html!

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

That’s the wonder of WordPress – there’s space for us all to be different! I think you probably have a better grasp of the tricky bits than you think you do, though 🙂

I’m sure we’ll work this mystery out eventually…!

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

I now find out that this issue has been known to Calpress for at least 5 months and not resolved. To be fair, there might be a plugin update on the way as it’s not claimed to be compatible with 3.8.1. However I have abandoned Calpress and am trying Spiffy Calendar which so far seems very good, not too complicated.

I say that I have abandoned Calpress – but not before I found something else that went wrong and am now circulating. The Settings page gives an option for 1 or 2 column display. I opted for two columns and immediately lost the complete settings page, never to return. I deactivated and eventually deleted – when I installed it again the same issues were there ie that Calpress needed to be configured and settings saved, both of which I had tried several times. I deleted it again, but although all data and other files associated with Calpress were supposed to have been deleted, I suspect that there is still something in the system. This doesn’t seem to be causing any problem at the moment. As I said, all may be resolved by an update.

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Well, if nothing else, this tells me that my faith in your detective skills is not unfounded….!

Dan Morrell
    Keymaster

Interesting, I’m sorry you’ve had such a frustrating experience! I have to say that I haven’t suffered any of these problems, not sure what’s behind that but given that we share the same server set up and so on I’m going to go with a plugin conflict potentially or even just a browser issue. Either way I’m glad you’ve found a calendar that suits you 🙂

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.